Monday, January 21, 2008

May/December Romance

So, I finished a book the other day where the leading lady was hesitant on forming a relationship with a man who was 10 years younger than she was. I feel like somewhat of an expert in this area as my husband is 16 years older than I am. I wasn't aware of the age difference when we first met because he looks much younger than his age. But, to be perfectly honest, age is just a number.

Don't get me wrong, when my mom found out the age difference she was not happy, that is until she met him. After meeting him she saw what a wonderful man he is and any doubts she had went out the window. And, apparently we are not alone. When I went online to do some research for my book review I found the following celebrities and their age difference:

Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn. Soon-Yi is 35 years younger.
Martha Raye and Mark Harris. He was 33 years younger when they married in 1991.
Clint and Dina Eastwood. Dina is 25 years younger.
Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Catherine is 25 years younger.
Warren Beatty and Annette Bening. Annette is 21 years younger.
Francesa Annis and Ralph Fiennes. Ralph is 19 years younger.
Mary Tyler Moore and Dr. Robert Levine. Robert is 18 years younger.
Jerry Seinfeld and Jessica. Jessica is 18 years younger.
Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. Demi Moore was 42, and Ashton Kutcher was 27 when they wed -- a 15 year difference.
Geena Davis and Dr. Reza Jarrahy. Reza is 15 years younger.
Tony Bennett and Susan Crow. Tony is about 33 years older than Susan.
Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins. Tim is 12 years younger.
Madonna and Guy Ritchie. Guy is 10 years younger.
Sheryl Crow and Lance Armstrong. Lance was 9 years younger.
Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake. Justin is 9 years younger.
Julianne Moore and Bart Freundlich. Bart is 9 years younger.
Tony Randall and Heather Harlan. Heather was 50 years younger.
Chuck Norris and Gena O'Kelley. Chuck is 28 years older than Gena.
Norman Mailer and Norris Church. Norris was 26 years younger than Norman.
Rod Stewart and soon to be ex-wife Rachel Hunter. Rachel is 25 years younger. Stewart's fiancee, Penny Lancaster is 26 years younger.
Paul McCartney and future ex-wife Heather Mills. Heather is 26 years younger.

And this is just the start. I know of a few other friends that are in relationships and marriages where there is an age difference of 10 years+. If you are one of them, I would love to hear from you!

Now, I also wanted to mention a site that a fellow blogger alerted me to called Marry Our Daughter - believe it or not this is a site where parents are actually auctioning off their YOUNG daughters to be wed, as young as 14 years old. What self-respecting parent would do this? I was appalled on seeing this and can't even believe it is legal, but according to the site a child can marry as young as 13 with the parents consent. Pretty scary if you ask me. Would love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Have a happy Monday!

No comments: