Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Crazy weather we're having

Ok, so I woke up this morning and the forecast said this: "fog early in the day, followed by rain until later in the evening when it will switch to snow". Huh? Living in Wisconsin, we have had snow as late as May, and have had 2 really nasty storms, so nasty we were out in the weather and my older daughter cried because it actually hurt - the winds were so strong and it was sleeting.

Well, yesterday in Kenosha they got a tornado - A TORNADO!!! That is the first tornado in Wisconsin in January in 40 years. You can see footage here:

Tornado in Kenosha

Living so close to Lake Michigan we rarely see tornadoes, I don't remember one here as long as I have been alive (33 years). We do get warnings just about every year, but the horrible devastation that these forces of nature bring is truly terrifying.

Back in 2000 we had a very severe hailstorm, so severe that one of our vehicles was totaled out due to the damage. My brother-in-law had family that live in St. Nazianz, and they had horrific damage due to hail, high winds, and a tornado.

I am hopeful that we may get at least one more big snowstorm - if my husband saw this he may hit me upside the head. Granted, I don't have to snowblow or really drive in it much. But I would love for my girls to get out there and be able to build a snowman, make snow angels, go sledding, and just have a good time. It's early yet, and I am hopeful that I will get this wish. But the way the weather has been I am not positive:)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Snow seems to be the topic of choice when blogging the past few days... I know I have some things I could say about the weather lately!

Bonnie (BornInaZoo) said...

I live near the northern shores on Lake MI and the weather has been un-seasonally warm. My prediction is that in late March we are either going to get pounded with snow or double-digits below zero temps.