Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Deep-Fried Cheese-Stuffed Burger from Bacon


Ok - I am just wondering when we have gone too far. Part of me wanted to laugh when i saw this, but then I thought "there will be people who will really try this". Kirk Draut of Peppers and Smoke came up with this idea (see picture on the left). Don't get me wrong, when I am really craving a burger my favorite place in town to go is Late's BBQ (with Kroll's in Green Bay a close second). They have THE best cheeseburgers and deep fried cheese curds around. When I say they are greasy, it doesn't really describe it. The burgers are fried and then are put on a toasted bun with a pat of butter on it so when you eat it the grease actually drips off of the burger. I know, this may sound disgusting to some of you, but let me tell you don't knock it until you've tried it...they are a little place and have a huge reputation around the area. I know, I know, not really a healthy choice but it is ok occasionally.

Now, this is different. According to the author of the site it is made with 100% ground BACON, stuffed with cheese, and then deep fried and served on a bun. I think after eating this an appointment with a cardiologist might be in order, but it actually might be pretty tasty!

On a healthier note, I have included a recipe for you health conscious consumers like me - as good as the above burger might taste it wouldn't be worth the consequences (ok, maybe just one bite wouldn't hurt), lol!

Recipe courtesy of WebMD

Ingredients:
1 pound very lean ground beef (or fresh ground sirloin)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Canola cooking spray
4 slices reduced-fat cheese
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato and onion slices (optional)
Mustard and ketchup (optional)
Barbecue sauce (optional)

Preparation:
Divide the beef into 4 equal portions. Use a patty press (or your hands) to make four burgers. Sprinkle them with the pepper and garlic salt.
Pan-fry, broil, or grill the burgers, using canola cooking spray to keep them from sticking to the pan or grill. When the burgers are almost cooked through, place the cheese slices on top and finish cooking (30 to 60 seconds). Remove the burgers to the serving plate. If desired, cover the plate with foil to keep burgers warm and moist.
Dress your burger on the bun with the lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, mustard, barbecue sauce, and ketchup as desired.

Yield:
4 servings

Nutritional Information:
Per serving: 397 calories, 35.5 g protein, 34.5 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 767 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29%.

No comments: