Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Brett Favre retires

I am not a Packer fan. To some this may not seem like a big deal, but when you live 35 minutes from Titletown, and are born and raised in Wisconsin, this statement is almost sacrilegious. I can't explain to those of you who haven't been here, the type of hype and the adoration that follows the Green Bay Packers. I know, a lot of people follow sports and back their teams but I honestly don't think anything compares to this. The Packers are the last vestige of "small town teams" that were once common in the NFL during the 1920s and 1930s. There is a sense of loyalty that Packer fans feel. My husband told me he heard once that there were Packer bars in most major cities in America.

The Green Bay Packers have won twelve league championships (more than any other team in the NFL) including nine NFL Championships prior to the Super Bowl era and three Super Bowl victories in 1967 (Super Bowl I), 1968 (Super Bowl II) and 1997 (Super Bowl XXXI). The team has a fierce rivalry with the Chicago Bears, whom they have played in over 170 games. The Packers are currently the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States.

Beginning with the 1992 season, the Packers had 13 non-losing seasons in a row (their worst record being 8-8 in 1999), two Super Bowl appearances, and one Super Bowl win (Super Bowl XXXI). The Packers' 13 consecutive non-losing seasons was an active NFL record until the team finally suffered a losing campaign in their 2005 season. They returned to have an 8-8 season in 2006 and a 13-3 regular season in 2007, both under new head coach Mike McCarthy. (per Wikipedia)

So, when I heard that Brett Favre had retired, I was ready to see this on EVERY local station almost nonstop. I am sure the bars are going to be full tonight of people reminiscing about his fantastic career, and more than a few tears will be shed. I am just glad that I have Directv, lol!

No comments: